.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

No Pepper Games - A Fantasy Baseball Blog

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Steve Finley - Abner Doubleday's Mentor



Steve, I love ya. You've carried teams of mine in the past, because each year people avoid you. "He's too old!" "He farts dirt." "He kicked me as a child." The list of complaints goes on. But each year, he just goes out, hits a hair under .300 (dude's been playing since 1989 and never hit above .300), and provides rock-solid consistency in the OF. And he slips in drafts, and can be had dirt cheap in trades. What's not to love?

How about his .223 BA this season? I sure don't love that. His 2:1 K:BB is killing me as well. As of today, he's 3 games behind the 58 games he played for the Dodgers last year, and the numbers are looking frighteningly similar.

This year, he's showing his age. And I don't get it. Luis Gonzalez is hitting it hard, and he's old. Jamie Moyer put up a string of 5 great games this season, and he's old. Roger Clemens has been fantastic, and Randy Johnson (while not putting up Top Two numbers) is getting it done. Hell, Rickey Henderson unretired and is playing International League ball! Why can't Steve Finley at the ripe old age of 67 hit worth a crap?

I heard him on ESPN Radio this afternoon, and he's concerned. He said that he always seems to heat up when the temperature rises, so maybe he'll improve. I don't buy it. His career numbers suggest that his best months are May (.820 OPS) and September (.800 OPS). July isn't far behind (.799 OPS), but it certainly doesn't suggest he's a summer hitter. I don't expect him to continue hitting .220, but I won't be surprised if he stays below .260 for the season. Not what I'm looking for from such a (previously) consistent veteran.

2 Comments:

  • The problem with Beautiful Steve this season is not his age, it's that he misses me. I used to sit regularly in left center at Bank One Ballpark with my camera, the Nikon 10 megapixel Super Stalker with 600mm zoom. BSF would nervously look over his right shoulder as I zoomed-in on the holes or repair stitching on his pants, which were perpetually torn just below the left cheek. He never officially acknowledged me, but I could tell by the frequency of his testicular adjustments that he knew I was there. I'm sure he spotted me at a couple of Dodger Stadium and Qualcomm and Petco Park and Pac Bell (or whatever it's current name is). I miss the way his pretty blue eyes would frantically scan the field, making sure there was ample security in case I decided to chuck the camera (as if) and rush him on the field. Or something. He should fly me and The Super Stalker to LA (excuse me, ANAHEIM) to recapture that old fear stoked adrenaline that sparks his famous hitting streaks. Of course, he'd arrange for me to have the seat of my dreams (in the dugout, on his lap). Anyway, even if he never gets another hit, the Angels need to keep him in the lineup for asthetic reasons (the rest of the lineup is actively unattractive). Leave BSF to me (and yes, I know he's married - but I don't want him FOREVER).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:48 PM, August 20, 2005  

  • I'm not sure whoose running what here but if this iscthr former Steve Finley from tne ol Padres then I am an advid fan. I saw this guy do things I couldn't begin to describe. I write to him for his expertise, but if this is not hiis sight I'll move on. I'm in a playogg crunch and need a good mentor...II saw Steve's name/....let me know

    Daniel Gilry

    By Blogger Renegade, at 4:53 PM, September 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home