.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

No Pepper Games - A Fantasy Baseball Blog

Monday, April 10, 2006

Fantasy Baseball: Week 1 Head-To-Head Update

I can't promise I'll remember to do this every week, but then again, I can't remember to bathe myself every week either. Baby steps. Of the five teams I have in H2H leagues, 4 of them were in action last week (one was delayed on account of Rotowire.com sucking complete ass as a fantasy platform).

Team 1: 5-5-0
Team 2: 7-3-0
Team 3: 4-6-0
Team 4: 7-3-0

All in all, a good show. That 4-6 was a disappointment, but my closers just didn't perform. I don't expect that to continue from the likes of Lidge, Street, Valverde, Ray, Gordon and Worrell. That team was also waiting for Tracy to gain 3B status, and now Zimmerman will be confined to bench work. The 5-5 tie was a surprise, as I went into the final day up 7-3. But one Reitsma rocking later, and a flurry of RBIs from the opposition, and I was in a 4-6 hole. If my opponent had sat Izzy last night, he'd have taken me - and he should have, if he'd been active. There were a handful of teams I saw that went 9-0-1 or 8-2, all of which would have been beaten by my team. Them's the breaks, boys.

7 Comments:

  • if there were, say, a 30 IP minimum from week to week, would you ever come close to missing out on it? because this is how most people fix h2h, although I still agree after that, that h2h is deeply flawed

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:50 PM, April 17, 2006  

  • I'd miss it every week. I think imposing even a 20 IP min would fix this particular problem. The other "real" H2H league I'm in has it at 20 IP, and it also has a cap on transactions, so I drafted 3 SPs and use them. I wish I'd drafted the SPs better, as I'm a bit worried with just Willis, Vazquez and D. Cabrera!

    A reasonable IP min and a transaction cap are the solutions to "fixing" H2H leagues. If the min is too low, you can just start closers. If the IP min is fine, but there's no cap, you can just stream pitchers.

    By Blogger NoPepperGames, at 6:48 PM, April 17, 2006  

  • well you probably overpaid for D-Cab and Willis, but I bet you got a steal on Javy... In H2H leagues I like to draft as much pitching as I possibly can, fill every relief spot and look for SP/RP relievers to get an extra edge AND get like 7 sick starting pitchers... It works for me! because I find that offense week to week is always unpredictable for my teams.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:20 AM, April 18, 2006  

  • Actually, no. People were frightened by Willis' supporting cast, and I drafted him in the mid rounds (8th or 9th? - I'll have to check). And Vazquez and Cabrera were taken with my last 2 picks.

    By Blogger NoPepperGames, at 11:44 AM, April 18, 2006  

  • wow, i can understand with willis as that is what people SHOULD have been thinking, but with all the mazzone-hype, its hard to believe you got dcab that late

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:47 PM, April 18, 2006  

  • Well, it is only 10 teams, with 20 man rosters. Looking at the FA pool pains me.

    By Blogger NoPepperGames, at 4:13 PM, April 18, 2006  

  • oh ok, thats incredibly small, no wonder dcabs and javy were available lates

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:27 PM, April 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home