.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

No Pepper Games - A Fantasy Baseball Blog

Friday, February 09, 2007

Fantasy Baseball: 2007 Second Basemen Draft Strategy

So it seems apparent to everyone that second base is the shallowest position on draft day. Experts have been saying, we've been saying, so it must be true, right? Certainly by looking at last year's numbers, it would certainly seem that way.

But let's take a look. A reputable online fantasy site is currently ranking them thusly (auction values deleted):

1. Chase Utley, Phillies
2. Brian Roberts, Orioles
3. Robinson Cano, Yankees
4. Brandon Phillips, Reds
5. Rickie Weeks, Brewers
6. Howie Kendrick, Angels
7. Dan Uggla, Marlins
8. Tadahito Iguchi, White Sox
9. Josh Barfield, Indians
10. Jeff Kent, Dodgers
11. Marcus Giles, Padres
12. Ray Durham, Giants
13. Ian Kinsler, Rangers
14. Jorge Cantu, Devil Rays
15. Luis Castillo, Twins
16. Orlando Hudson, Diamondbacks
17. Jose Lopez, Mariners
18. Jose Castillo, Pirates

Certainly, after Utley, everyone else paled in comparison. But after Utley, was there really all that much difference between these players? If I miss out on drafting Utley, am I hosed? No, I really don't think so. All of those players between #2-9 could put up nearly identical numbers. If Kent and Giles return healthy and play 140 games, they could put up similar numbers. If Kinsler is as good as they say, he could put up 20-20 numbers. (I have no idea why Durham is listed so highly.) I think Cantu is in for a better year than last year, and Castillo (the Luis flavor) is always a good source of SBs. Lopez is a potential to breakout as well.

So while none of those guys are going to put up Chase Utley numbers in '07, they all are going to be good go-to players. And in '08, we could be saying "Get your good 1B while you can, because the 2Bs are identical from #1-10."

2 Comments:

  • Durham was top 5 2b last year, and solid the year before. Yet you have 'no idea' how he's ranked as high as 12th?? I love it when people dismiss Durham. Sure, he's old, and he'll go on the DL once or twice, but he'll also be a top 5 2B again this year.
    and what in god's name has marcus giles done recently to be ranked ahead of durham??

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:52 PM, February 10, 2007  

  • Okay, fair enough - Ray Durham is the Moises Alou of 2B. I do think there is a lot of untapped talent that will rise above him this year, but he could be set to score more runs.

    As for Giles, I agree. These aren't my rankings, and I typically avoid him, as he's just not a solid bet.

    I try to avoid creating my own rankings, simply because I don't see a need to reinvent the wheel. There are tons of projections out there, each one far more capable of statistical projection than I am. I'll gladly stand on the shoulders of those giants out there to eek out my tiny voice once in a while.

    By Blogger NoPepperGames, at 12:24 AM, February 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home